Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cloned meat



I received the following in an email today and I don't think I agree with it. Do you?

"The big meat companies of the Midwest
is now trying to join the FDA so that they can
sell their cloned meat (beef, pork, chicken, etc.)
and not have to use the word cloned on the
label or ingredients’ list.
This is real scary because we do not know the effects
this will have on us,
our children, or our children’s children.
The FDA is one of the most corrupt institutions this
country has today."

They left off one major aspect of their "opinion" - the facts. Some facts. Any facts. One fact of how this cloned meat could hurt us. I need facts. Maybe the information is out there and I haven't read enough to find these "facts". For all I know (and the public as well) I could already be eating cloned meat. If the FDA is so corrupt, why should I believe that they are stopping cloned meat from being processed.
Someone please tell me why cloned meat would be any different than the original animal meat.

I believe there is some corruption in almost any organization - big or small. If you don't believe that then you are blind, my friend. And unless I have some facts, I say "what's wrong with eating cloned meat?"

And that's MY opinion! Prove me wrong.

3 comments:

Greybeard said...

Kinda surprised to see your article-
Are we really cloning meat on a large-scale? What I've read indicates cloned progeny frequently have birth defects or other health problems.

But no question, we'll have to deal with this subject eventually. Up front, let me say that I agree with you... much ado about not much.

Europeans have been raisin' Cain about "Genetically modified" food, to the point of banning it and returning shiploads of corn chips that were found to be "GM'ed".
What goes unsaid is that we've been eating GM'ed food for years... all hybrids are genetic modifications. To my knowledge, no one has ever been harmed by eating an ear of "Supersweet" corn!

I can't help thinking we'll look back on all this hoohah in thirty years and smile at the ignorance.

Samarpan David said...

Most U.S. consumers are not aware of the extent that genetically modified foods have entered the marketplace. I think these altered foods have been around since 1973 and the benefits seem to outweigh the risks.

Crops have been engineered to decrease pesticide and herbicide usage, protect against stressors, enhance yields and extend shelf life. Beyond the environmental benefits of decreased pesticide and herbicide application, consumers stand to benefit by development of food crops with increased nutritional value, medicinal properties, enhanced taste and esthetic appeal.

That is not to say that 30 years from now we may find there were unintended consequences.

The Joker said...

asoka,
It seems that the consequences of adding chemicals to crops to do whatever it is they “think” they need to do are showing up NOW, if only for the fact that there seem to be more food allergies and more overall weight gain and new diseases. So I think consumers are more aware now then they were 30 years ago that some foods are genetically altered.

I understand that something needs to be done in order to feed the worlds ever growing population and maybe the crops do need an extended shelf life, but I think the crops & produce stand on their own as far as taste and nutritional value. That was good enough 50 yrs ago, it should be good enough now.

I don’t see the need for all these chemicals.

In the long run, these chemicals will have an effect on humans – mark my words; maybe shorter life spans due to new diseases caused by these chemicals or maybe it’ll cause more birth defects, or have an impact on our mental capabilities.
I just don’t think all these chemicals are a good thing.

Are chemicals used to clone live animals? I’m not sure. Maybe. But the animal grows and eats the same food as normal animals,
then becomes dinner for humans. The question is: is there a difference between eating a normal animal as opposed to a cloned animal?