Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Memories

Remember drive-in movies? Does anyone remember the drive-in on St Rd 135 just N of Smith Valley Rd and the Greenwood drive-in on Hwy 31 just S of Smith Valley Rd?

Memories.....
I had just bought my first car, a red Corvair (remember Corvairs), and my sister and I went to the Meridian drive-in to see "Psycho". It was a warm summer night so we had our windows rolled down. At one point in the movie (can't remember which point - must have old-timers disease), my sister and I both jumped at the same time and the drink my sister had in her hand (which was full) went flying out the window crashing to the ground with a big splash. What a reaction! I laughed at her so hard I almost peed my pants. Of course this kept her from realizing that I had just about jumped through the window myself. I cannot remember the rest of that night or if we even stayed for the second movie, if there was one, but I'll never forget that drink going out the window.


Speaking of cars (and memories) does anyone remember Mr. Larry Cline the basketball coach?
Whatever happened to him? Anyhow, he was my driver's ed. teacher in summer school and I think I was the only one he ever yelled at while driving. That fall when school resumed one of the teachers had us write a paper on what we did over summer break. One girl, and I won't mention any names, but her initials were BB, wrote her whole paper about me in driver's ed class. She changed my name (slightly) to protect my innocence, but everyone in class knew it was me and I was so embarrassed. Evidently BB didn't change my name good enough, but I had no hard feelings. It is something I laugh about even today. Does anyone remember that? Did anyone else ever have Mr. Cline for driver's ed?

6 comments:

Greybeard said...

Hey Girl!
SO glad you found us and have started your own blog!

Yes, I certainly remember "The Meridian", and "The Greenwood" drive-in theatres.
I went there a lot... and even watched a few movies! I may have been there the same night you saw Psycho.

I've added your blog to our blogroll at VK, and left you a welcoming post.

Hope to get re-acquainted at one of the upcoming minis!

Purple Tabby said...

OH yes, I remember the drive-ins. I almost stopped breathing permanently when I realized Vandy's apartment is about where the infamous back row of the Meridian drive-in used to be!

And I remember a dark red Corvair – rear engine, bucket seats and an inconvenient gear-shift thing in the middle. Billy V had one. Actually I think it was his Mom and Dad's and he got to use it sometimes. Too bad it had so many safety problems because it sure was a cute car.

Mr. Cline! OMG! Jeanie B and I made him an old man before his time by taking his driver’s ed class,,, but I see now that we didn't act alone!

I recently met his widow; she lives at the same place as Vandy. I don't know when he passed away but Mrs. C still laughs about his teaching days.

Especially funny are the number of times he got kicked out of basketball games.

TwoDogs said...

Joker,

Welcome! Glad to see that you are here with your own site. Stay in tune with VandysKids and join in with your 'Memories'... It's also time join us at one (or all) of the mini reunions that have been happening. And I do mean happening!!!!! Lots of sharing, lots of good people and lots of good food. The heck with the people and the sharing - I go for the Food... Seriously, They have been great. It's not only been about 'Memories' for me, but also, a little bit about reconnecting and re-newing, if you will. We do talk about old times, but, We also are sharing the current events of our lives. Good, bad and otherwise.

Your 'Memories' post has brought back some wonderful memories for me. Ny older brother had a red Corvair. I always thought that was the neatest little car. Still do.. Although, my older brother never let me drive it. Older brothers don't do things like that much. The Meridian Drive In. Wow - I could fill a book up with those memories. Enough said right now about that...

So, again, Welcome! We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Purple Tabby said...

One other thing. I just read your profile and see you are a Stephanie Plum follower! I really enjoy Janet E. too.

Greybeard’s sister, Mama Nurse, introduced me to Sweet Potato Queens and I highly recommend the books. Stephanie Plum would fit right in.

BoMarGirl said...

Joker - I just read your Blog. Yes! I had Mr. Cline for Driver's Ed too. One day while I was in the Driver's Seat, something got under my contact lens and tears started flowing down my face. I was too afraid of Mr. Cline to say anything so I just kept on trying to drive. He said, "Kathy, pull over"; now tell me, what is wrong? I said, "nothing is wrong, I've just got something in my eye". He was so kind to me that day; I was never afraid of him again.

I can't remember if you were in my Driving Group or not. I remember someone forgot to stop at a stop sign in Franklin and Mr.Cline used the brake and threw all the back seat passengers to the front!! I was ready for a Valium after that experience....

Bo

The Joker said...

You could have been in my drivers-ed class, BoMarGirl, I can only remember BB. It was during summer school and Mr Cline did yell at me a lot. After that, my dad taught me to drive a stick and he yelled at me a LOT, too! Guess what? I can drive anything now!
I paid $800 for my Corvair, drove it for 2 years and sold it for $500. The day after the guy bought it, the engine fell out.